Sunday, December 19, 2010

A moment of reflection

Admittedly, I am a good day or so late on the unfortunate death of Yankees fan Steven Smith. Not that I didn’t see it yesterday, but I struggled figuring out how I wanted to discuss it.

Discussing the death of a figure like Bob Feller is easier because we all know of him and we know can review his career exploits and war stories rather quickly. However, the tragic death of a 24 year-old is not something we’re all equipped to handle.

I did not know Smith, known in the Twitterverse as @stevensmithy. I wish I had.

Smith is exactly why I started this website nearly three years ago: to have the dialogue about my favorite teams with other fans. I’ve come to know many of you, including the folks who write with me here, in a virtual sense, having only met a few of you personally. While it’s unfortunate, I feel as if we’ve been able to bond over our shared love for the pinstripes and the game of baseball. I consider you part of my circle of friends, even as we’ve never actually met. I’m incredibly thankful for those of you who comment here and online at Twitter or Facebook. It’s my hope to run into many more of you during the 2011 season.

So with the spirit and memory of @stevensmithy as a backdrop, thank you for being here. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feelings. You have no idea how much I appreciate it.

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read our FAQ page at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php
Five Filters featured site: So, Why is Wikileaks a Good Thing Again?.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment