Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Voting For the Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Jeff Bagwell: Bagwell is the poster child for why Hall voters need to do research before they vote rather than simply relying on memory. Never fully appreciated when he was playing, and sort of lost in the shuffle of the steroid era, Bagwell is nevertheless one of the best first baseman in history. Bagwell hit .297/.408/.540 (a .406 wOBA) for his career with 449 home runs and 202 stolen bases. He also posted nine seasons with an fWAR of 5 or better, including seven with a 6 or better, five of 7 or better, and two above 8. This is a no doubter, but I predict he won’t make it.

Barry Larkin: This is one I’m a little afraid I’m homering out on (I grew up in the Cincinnati area when Larkin was at his peak), but all the same I think Larkin belongs in the Hall. He has a better career OPS and wOBA than Cal Ripken Jr., and was a much better hitter than Ozzie Smith, who overshadowed him in the National League. The real problem with Larkin is the matter of his ack of durability, as he only managed to play in at least 150 games in a season four times, and played just 2,180total games in his career. Still, I think he was probably good enough to merit a vote, though it’s borderline.

Edgar Martinez: When the only argument you can make against a guy is that the position he played should disqualify him from consideration, then you don’t have much of a case at all. Another no-brainer who will probably have to wait a while.

Tim Raines: If Raines didn’t have the misfortune of playing at the same time as Rickey Henderson, I don’t think this would be in doubt. A .294/.385/.425 hitter who stole 808 bases and scored 1,571 runs, I’m honestly a little surprised Raines hasn’t been voted in already. The BBWAA usually love those kind of counting stats.

Mark McGwire: And now, I guess, is where we get controversial. For reasons I may be inclined to elaborate on later, I don’t believe in retroactively “punishing” people who did use or may have used PED’s. Like, at all. So, to me, that means not even considering the issue when evaluating someone’s Hall of Fame case. And taking steroids out of the equation, McGwire is a Hall of Famer without question.

Rafael Palmiero: See above.

So there you have my ballot, commence with telling me how wrong I am. And feel free to post your own, you might even change my mind on a few people.

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read our FAQ page at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php
Five Filters featured site: So, Why is Wikileaks a Good Thing Again?.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment